Immersive Art at Gropius Bau

Immersive Art at Gropius Bau



A. invited me to ISM Hexadome at Gropius Bau, a show promising "Immersive Sound and 360° Visual Exhibition." I am suspicious of everything called explicitely "immersive" in the arts. I can get immersed in a painting so no need to expand my vision by 360 degrees. A painting has also a sound to it so I don't really need to hear a track accompanying it. But okay, you know I have an open mind, right, so I said, why not? We had some white wine before entering - alcohol is always good to enhance everything immersive. When the doors opened at 8pm, people stormed inside where the first lucky ones could sit on stools. Others, like us (wine has also the side effect of slowing one down), had to sit on the floor. Of course, this disturbed the immersive experience: the people on stools were obstructing the view. And then it started. It was so unspectacular, both visuals and music, that A. and I had rather fun looking at the faces around us - astonished faces, mouths half open, eyes with incomprehension, clearly asking themselves: "Is this it?" A. informed me that the DJ was playing ambient music. "What is so special about it?" I asked. "It's especially bad," A. said.   
FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST