Art Blogger of the Week: Olga Pastor Alvarado in London, UK

Art Blogger of the Week: Olga Pastor Alvarado in London, UK


Olga Pastor Alvarado knows about art in Spain and the UK! Her writing in her blog is in both Spanish and English! Here she tells us what differences and similarities there are to be found between both. But that is not the only awesome part of Olga Pastor Alvarado: she has also an own business with illustration cards - and here I must admit that the cards and gadgets in the art bookstore are what make me linger there for so long, very much to the indignation of the salespeople at Walther König bookstore in the Hamburger Bahnhof Museum. Yesterday I actually bought two postcards by Andy Warhol ("thank you for being so nice" and "you can lead a shoe to water but you can't make it drink") but now I'm definitely going to widen my realm and check out Olga's online store. If you want to keep up with Olga's writing, you can also follow her on Twitter and Facebook.




Art scene
"I'm from Spain but I've been living in London for almost five years now. I can't place myself exclusively in one or the other. Both are very important to me. London is a big ball, with artists from all over the world. Each artist shows a bit from his/her culture, and at the same time they have the streets of London in common. Because we are all here, we all learn everyday about the others’ cultures and minds. Art from Londoners is fresh and inspiring. It’s quick witted and easy to digest. I can't define a specific trend here. We are surrounded by everything at the same time, with an extreme urgency of exploding and covering the city with beauty and hope. Artists like Ha Young Kim, from Seoul or the Spanish Saelia Aparicio are good examples of this. Hungry Londoners full of colour and ideas. The Spanish art world is a bit different. Everything is more local but it also has a lot of diversity. Spain is a controversial country, with a lot of social issues. There are trends there that try very hard to shine a light on these issues, and fight for, or against them, with very different languages. Art in Spain is a big deal. Something serious. It's more reflective, and in some ways more mature. A good example is the international Eugenio Merino, who satirises with the past and present of the country in most of his pieces. Not everything is about looking at our own belly button, don't think I'm saying that. Spain is a very prolific country, when it comes to artists, and each one has his/her way to say hello to the world. The thing I most appreciate about Spanish art scene is the unconditional love for painting. There are a lot of different ways to make art, of course, but artists have always had this big respect for the old masters. Spain is the land of Goya, and no one forgets that."   

Blog 
"I've started my actual blog at some point in 2013, but I've been blogging since 2005. I've always liked writing and that's why I started it. At the beginning it was not just art, it was more of a personal blog. Very immature. Later, because of my job, I started to write more articles about art and I started to be more focused. Now, my blog is a way to let people know me and know the artists I like. I write about exhibitions, art fairs and auctions. I also post the articles I write for others publications such art magazines or catalogues. Blogs are a perfect way to stay connected with other agents of the art scene, and to read a lot of different points of view. I learn a lot by reading other blogs. Internet is a door open to the world and everyone is free to share their opinions. We now have the chance to read articles from people from all over the art scene, to compare and choose our preferences. Art writing is huge now, it’s immediate, and it’s easy to find bloggers who raise the bar and contribute a lot. Also the contraire, of course, but that’s the magic of that door. We, as readers, have to learn as well what deserves our attention and what doesn’t."   

Expertise
"I've studied History of Art and I have a MBA in Arts Management. I like the art market and I'd like to one day find the solution to this crazy situation of speculation around the art scene. It's unfair for everyone and for the magnificence of the word: ART. Meanwhile, while I look for enlightenment to solve that problem, I work at Tate Museum, I'm sub editor of Art in Brit Es Magazine and I have my own business of illustration and greeting cards. Tackycardia is just one year old, and we use irony and a strange sense of humour to offer an alternative to the traditional cards market. Please, have a look!" 

Money 
"The most valuable thing I take from my blog is self-promotion. Because of it some artists, publications, and other agents have contacted me, inviting me to visit their studios, to write for catalogues or magazines, or to just have a drink and a chat. My blog has brought me some paid jobs but that is not its main purpose."
FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST